Thursday, February 26, 2009

Malcolm X Post 3

Elijah Muhammad's huge influence on Malcolm is obvious. Malcolm is completely aware that he would be willing to do whatever Elijah thought to be right, at all costs. The Nation of Islam has done great things so far for many Black people, bringing them out of addiction, helping them become morally strong, and instilling family values. But the extreme loyalty these people had for Elijah is kind of scary. Not so much yet, but it seems like people are beginning to trust him as if he is God. I don't think any one person should have that kind of hold on a large group of people because it can become dangerous. One wrong decision or miscommunication and you have the whole Nation of Islam, not thinking for themselves, doing something they may not usually do. It reminds me of stories I've heard about cults and how people have committed mass suicide because their leader, who they thought was God, told them to. Jonestown, a colony of the "People's Temple," had this happen to them because they were brainwashed. (www.infoplease.com/spot/jonestown1.html) At this point, I don't see the Nation of Islam like this, and Elijah seems to be a good person, but the leader of Jonestown, Jim Jones, probably seemed the same way. Before he showed he was a fraud, what made him different than countless other people who called themselves prophets or messengers of God? Almost every religion was started by a charismatic man with this description. I wasn't brought up religiously, and that's probably why I think this way. I'm not against religion, but I wouldn't know where to start. I can't chose between Christianity, Judaism, Islam, or anything because I don't see how one is better than the other. It might take a desperate time in my life for me to turn to religion, just like Malcolm did, and I may find comfort in any beliefs. As of now, I'm agnostic, which means I don't feel like at the present moment it's possible to know the truth about the existence of a God, or what it is like. I need proof for myself to believe anything, its just the way I am. 

2 Comments:

Blogger sam said...

eriiiiiiiic-
This blog is just super. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and I complete agree with you. I remember reading about a cult that was similar to the one you mentioned, if not the same one. People get so crazy when it comes to religion and their religious figures, because I guess in some cases, it's what people live for. They follow this one person and follow his/her every move. It gets scary. Thats why i enjoy the fact that in our religion (although you don't necessarily go to temple) there's a rabbi, and he is our greatest religious figure but we use him/her as a guide, not someone to imitate.

Sorry that was ridiculously long.
You blog really hard.
xoxo, sam

March 3, 2009 at 5:57 PM  
Blogger JK said...

Yea, I definitely agree with what you are saying. It seems at this point that any member of the Nation of Islam would do anything form there leader, Elijah Muhammad. This is a scary thing to think about. I feel as if Elijah Muhammad told someone to kill themselves because it was holy, they would do it. This is to much power for one man to have. It seems he has the power of life and death.

March 6, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home