Thursday, October 2, 2008

CATCHER IN THE RYE

Pretty much I just read half of it. It's a pretty old book, but I thought it would be a lot more boring and outdated than it is. There are some phrases that no one would ever say nowadays, like "swell" or "she started jitterbugging", but you could still relate to the story and the characters. 

Holden Caulfield is an interesting character. I can't say I like everything about him because he's kind of creepy at times, but overall he doesn't seem like he'd be too annoying to hang out with. He likes to have a good time, but he seems kind of weird, calling up random people he's never met just so he can feel less alone while in NYC. 

I don't like Holden's roommate at Pencey, Stradlater. He seems like he'd be really selfish, like when he asked Holden to write a composition for him. I would have laughed in his face if he asked me. And the weird kid in the other room would probably drive me crazy, laying on my bed and clipping his toenails all over my floor. 

I definitely would hate being at a prep school like Pencey. I would feel trapped all the time and constantly just be wishing I was free. It's bad enough having school six or seven hours a day and about two hours of homework, sometimes more. Living at school would just make me cry. 

The biggest upside to the book so far is being able to see the similarities between being a kid in the past and in the present. It's not as different as I used to think. 

The book does have some uneventful parts, but overall I like it. 

2 Comments:

Blogger sam said...

way to write a novel.

October 3, 2008 at 5:27 AM  
Blogger JK said...

Eric, i totally agree with you. Stradlater seems like a selfish kid. And Ackley would creep me out, al his weird habits and all. Overall, i did find the book interesting like you.

October 8, 2008 at 6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home